Angel investing – the new asset class
Angel investment is an important asset class and now more main
stream than ever. It has the potential to play an even
greater part in financing new businesses in future, which was
highlighted at the event - 'Angel investment - the new asset
class' recently by key figures from xénos, the UK Business
Angels’ Association as well as the Business Growth Fund,
British Bankers' Association, AIM and HMRC.
The Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS)
- The introduction of the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme
(SEIS) in 2012 sharpened the focus on angel investing as a
potentially class-leading option for both private investors
(business angels) and businesses seeking investment.
- SEIS offers tax relief to angel investors investing in early
stage companies and according to UK Government figures published on
7th November, more than 1,100 companies have already raised £82
million in investment. (Source: HMRC).
Regional Growth Fund
- Aside from its role as a provider of follow-on funds, the
Regional Growth Fund now offers angel investors an alternative exit
option as it can now buy out angel investors from existing
- Exits are an essential consideration for angel investors and
the Alternative Investments Market (AIM) can provide an effective
exit route for early stage businesses.
UK Business Angels
- The UKBAA has introduced a new deal sharing platform that its
members, which include xénos, can use to introduce deals to a new
angel investors throughout the UK.